Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Party

This past weekend, we had our first official party in Colorado.  We did have our usual Spring Shake Down, but we only had a few guests, so it was much less work, but still so much fun.  So, this past weekend was it, it was a chance to invite new people, make new friends and show off our house.  Of course, in tyipcal Foege fashuion, we weren't totally prepared to host a party, I would have loved to have done a million more things, but well, that's how our parties typically go.  I'm pretty sure I remember installing a bathroom vanity the morning of one of our parties and painting the kitchen the morning of another.  By those standards, we were in pretty good shape.  Sure, not every tree was trimmed and not every corner was cleaned, but the party was going to happen nonetheless!

And it was odd getting ready for it, not having the usual suspects.  I joked with my mom on Friday about how we might not have any plates, napkins or silverware at the party since they weren't coming.  She typically just showed up with those items, without question.  Thankfully the party box was located and I found most of what we needed.  It was still different, it was a whole different crew of people.  I think Erik and Bethany were the only people that were a party repeater for us, everyone else was new to our party scene, so we knew we had to make it a succcess.

We started the day at the dogpark, a nice refreshing hike to get us going, get Burton some energy and get me some much needed mountain time.  We headed home and started to prepare.  I will admit that I was a little out of party practice.  Typically I do a pretty good job of getting everything set beforehand so I have time to hang out and talk to people.  I wasn't so good at this part.  I'm not sure if I had too many things going on, or just too many places to be, but I failed at socializing very much.  I was either in the kitchen prepping something, or chasing Liam up the stairs, or making him share his toys...who knows, just wasn't the best hostess.  I thought I had things ready so I could just relax, but alas, I was cooking this or that, or the other thing, or Sean was getting food on the grill.

But in the end, it was a party, it was a pretty good party.  I am used to my party review committee telling me how things really went, so I'll have to form a new one of those as well.  We met new people, had people come that we didn't expect and boy, I can't wait until Liam is just a little older to go and play in the woods with the other kids.  He was so sad he couldn't.  Maybe mommy should just ligthen up, or maybe he should just grow a bit more and then we will be good.  But I already think he is growing up too fast - not sure how to slow that down or keep him how he is.  Guess that is another topic for another blog.  For now, I'll call it a successful party, the dishes are finally washed and mostly put away.  The house is back in order, ready to settle in and just relax for a while.  Of course, not this weekend, this weekend is Sean's 24 Hours of Lemons racing.  Maybe soon we will get to calm down a little bit!  But probably not! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment