Monday, June 26, 2017

Lessons learned when least expected

We had an amazing weekend this weekend.  We attended the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.  Sean had talked about it, we decided we'd go for it.  It's the only time of the year you can actually camp at Pikes Peak, we were maybe 10 feet away from race cars whizzing past us, we got to sit in some cars the day before, Liam got to sign a car and we got to high five the race car drivers on the way down the hill.

It was great, a fun weekend, the weather mostly cooperated...and then it happened.  The car wouldn't start.  We were stuck in the middle of Pikes Peak with our camper, the kids, 2 other friends and just not even sure where to start to get back home.  So, the process began, I went to tell the sheriff directing traffic we needed a tow truck, he was working on it, then the rain and hail came (perfect timing).  The process began - lots of people trying to figure out what to do, Sean being patient as they finally agreed to listen to his plan, the kids on the side of the road with car seats, me waiting for some help from someone, not sure who to ask, and so on.  They finally got the car and trailer loaded up, we finally got a ride to the gates of Pikes Peak, where we then needed to wait for a cab (in this time, I was reminded how great it was to have kids around - they just wanted to run around and play and I just wanted to be upset about how late we will get home, etc. - but nope, I got up and ran around and played tag and the laughs that came out of Cora and Liam were totally priceless).  Cab finally came and the kids were just laughing and having a blast.

I think we should take more cues from kids,,,right?  Maybe they have way more figured out than we give them credit for.  They just rolled with it, they got from one car with the rangers, to the next car with a crazy cab lady (who may or may not have stolen the cab from someone else), to back to Jolie's, where thank god she had cheerios and her neighbor had milk, to the ride home with Brit when they FINALLY crashed.  Cora cried for maybe 5 minutes on the way home, they both freaked out when we got home, but other than that, they were rock stars, they barely cried, they were friendly and polite to everyone we met and they just enjoyed it all.  They never cease to amaze me with how much stuff they put up with.

They went to sleep and Sean and I sat on the front porch and talked some more...the tow truck driver jacked up a our camper a bit...the car, who knows what will happen with the car...and if we wanted to make the experience be a bad one, this situation could have done that.  I wasn't going to let that happen.  I was going to let the kids remember the crappy part of the day.  I wasn't going to let Sean keep beating himself up over it.

Fact is, this car is a piece of crap, we both know and we both hate it.  So, now we figure out what to do that.  But while talking, I realized something pretty crazy.  The car would have crapped out on our way home...going down Pikes Peak, we could have lost power steering/brakes and that could have be bad, really bad.  Once that started going through my head, I told Sean it was a blessing it didn't start when it did.  Sure, it was a sucky situation, but it could have been so much worse.  No one was hurt, we just have to fix a damn car and parts of a camper.  The kids had fun, I kept my shit together (shockingly!) and all was good.

Yesterday was 10 years from the day Sean and I met...as we sat on the front porch, I asked if he knew he'd up here with me...this life, adventures that always have something go a little wonky...these amazing kids that were top notch this weekend, this love that got us through this tough time with no yelling (he insists I'll still yell at him, which is possible!), this life we have...and we both thought about it, and honestly, when I met him, I knew something was different with him...not sure I envisioned all of this, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.  I love being his teammate, and now I look at the rest of our team (Cora and Liam) and I'm so impressed with them and what they have done and look forward to what they will do!

Team Foege doesn't always do things easy, and most of the time we make shit much harder on ourselves that it needs to be, but when I look to see how strong we are, I'm amazed.

I'm also beyond impressed with some of the friends we have made so far out here in Colorado.  Friends that aren't used to kids, but put up with them and these crazy adventures for at least a few extra hours.  Friends that crack open a beer to split with me because it's been that kind of day.

And I went to bed last night with the biggest smile on my face.  Yes, I miss my family and yes, this process would have been much simpler if my parents were in town, but the family we have here is growing in ways I never realized possible.  As long as you go through life with the right people, no situation can be that terrible, and that's something I hope the kids will see as they get older - it's not what happens, it how you deal with it.

I gave myself 2 minutes to slightly freak out about the car thing - in those 2 minutes (I was out of the sight of the kids), they also freaked out - Sean told me that was the only time they cried the whole time.  I'm OK with my little freak out, I regrouped and got my shit together and we rolled with it all...but honestly, you get back what you give - I (after taking direction from Liam and Cora) gave a good attitude in a shitty situation and I learned how much that can come back to help you out.  And it makes me so happy and lucky, despite our piece of shit car! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment