Tuesday, January 3, 2017

4 - how did that happen so fast...

I'm a bit behind on this, but Liam turned 4 a few weeks ago...and the past few years I have taken a few minutes to jot down some thoughts on why this age has been fun, what I love about him, how he has changed and grown and everything in between.

It's so funny, around his birthday, I still look back and remember what we went through on that day - how a few days before he was even born, I start thinking of where we were, how things were going, the hospital stay, being stuck in the bed, the list goes on.  It's all things I have finally come to terms with, however, it's still a part of Liam and his journey into our life.  I wonder if I will ever stop thinking about it.  Anyways...back to Liam...the man of the hour.

We decided (well, I decided) to send Cora to daycare and have a special day with Liam.  Sean was off so I took the day off as well.  Liam said he wanted to go up to Copper Mountain, so we did that and had a pretty great day.  Here's what I learned about this kid this year:


  • Liam now sleeps on the top bunk of his bed, sharing a room with Cora when she sleeps in there, which has been about 1 whole night.  He spends all night up there and goes to bed without nearly as many snuggles as he used to get.  I'm so happy he is being such a big boy, but some nights, I keep him in the lower bunk and give him extra snuggles just because.
  • I love how he takes care of Cora.  He stands up for her, sometimes getting himself in trouble to see she is happy and safe.  When she is crying, he goes up to her, and says "Sweetie, what's wrong?" in very similar way that I do.  He pats her back, tries to hug her and will even give her toys sometimes.
  • He always has a great idea - that can be anything from I should have cookies for dinner to I want to watch movies all day, to sharing his toys with Cora.  The look on his face when he gets his "great idea" is the best.  He nods his head and points very matter of factly when talking about it, with a little eye roll as well just for some extra fun.
  • The things he says still amaze and crack me up, it could be anything from his great ideas to how he wants to read extra books, to whatever silly thing he wants to do.  It's often that I let him talk just so I can smile and hear how creative he is being.
  • He has such a great imagination.  He can entertain himself for hours with his toys if he wants to.  He enjoys playing make believe games with Cora and I - watching the two of them giggle and laugh together is such a joy.
  • He's a stubborn kid - this isn't a super loveable trait, but it's part of him.  He also has a temper that we are always working on - so the one day he keeps it under control (which happened to be last week), is always a treat.  I always want to talk to him about how proud I am of him for not being bad, and I always tear up because I'm so happy he gets it, even if 5 minutes later he is time out for the same thing.
  • He loves to read and look at books - he'd spend all night reading if he could.  Some nights I put Cora to be in my bed and Liam has some free time to look at books.  I love putting the camera on him and watch and listen to him go through his books.  He also likes to help me "read" them sometimes.
  • He can mostly write his name, when he is in the mood for it and pays attention to it...and is so proud of himself when he does it.
  • He loves painting as we discovered yesterday when he opened the paint and started to paint without us knowing it...all the time, making sure Cora had a brush and paper too.

I'm sure I'll add more as I think of it, but I sure do love this kid...he's got his moments, and some of them aren't pretty, but I'll take him as he is.  He's one of a kind and I wouldn't trade any of these memories for the world!  Happy birthday Liam - the big 4 - you have lived life pretty full so far, I can't wait to see what it ahead for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment