Monday, March 24, 2014

Another great day in the mountains

It was a busy weekend, we spent Saturday looking at some houses (another topic for another day) and then of course, Sean had to go into work on Sunday morning.  I know this is his schedule, but I am still working on adjusting to it.  Since I have been so busy as well, I feel like we have had such little time to spend together and see each other.  But so it goes, we will figure it out.  His work will slow down and get more of a set schedule and I will pretend my life will slow down a little as well.  Ha!  

But Sunday, Sunday was a day for me and Liam.  See, I had a hard day with him on Saturday, we took away his pacifier and he was just not in the best of moods.  He got a good nap in while we were looking at houses, but it still was a rough afternoon.  But so it goes, it happens.  I was excited to wake up on Sunday and have a new day with him, a sunny day!  We started by heading to Costco, which is quite an adventure in itself.  Then it was time for our hike.  I love when I call it our hike, Liam dosen't have much say it in the matter, nor does he hike, but he'll learn!  As always, it was a bit of a challenge to get out of the house in one piece, which everything, but I think I did it.  I think I'm getting better at it, so that is a good feeling.  We loaded up and I still wasn't sure where to go, should we dog park it, or do the closer hike and take the risk that Burton will be off leash.  I did let Liam decide that.  It was going to be up to him, if he feel asleep, we would go far, if not, we would go close.  He stayed awake, so we went to Meyer Ranch Park again.  And this time, I was determined to make the whole ascent.  Liam fell asleep pretty quick into things so I spent a good portion of the beginning of the hike making sure he was still breathing and shaking him around to get him comfortable in the back pack.  Once he got settled to my liking, there was nothing left to do but hike.  Burton frolicked in the snow and I just pushed along.  My best guess indicated I ascended 900 feet or so in about 2 miles.  It was so interesting to me how much MORE snow there was as I got higher.  And yes, I understand why, just didn't think I was climbing that high.  I stopped a few times to take some pictures and of me and my hiker, however, he was sleeping still and you can barely see him - I swear here is there though!  
Stopping to take a few pictures, didn't get Liam or the view, but well, I'm happy!  
From the spot I stopped at, I could really see how far I went.  The road and stores were so tiny.  I love the feeling of being so small in something so big, which is the main reason I love the mountains as much as I do.  The remind me that all the stupid things that I think matter, doesn't.  It doesn't matter how hard it was to get out of the house, or the mess that was still at home when I left to get in this great hike.  It just matters that you feel something, anything out there.  And I feel so at peace and calm.  Even though I was working my butt off, it felt great.  There is a certain sense of nothingness that overtakes me.  The only thing that matters was one step in front of the other and that I kept going.  There was no stopping, no quitting, no negative thoughts.  It was just me, Liam and Burton forging ahead, not worrying about how fast we were going, just making sure we made it back to the car.  It's funny because I really don't think something terrible is going to happen to me out while hiking some regular trail.  Then I remember that my regular trails around here, are a little bit more of big deal than they were in Illinois.  

At some point, I was thinking and wondering what I would do if I fell and broke my leg, how would I get Liam down.  I'm not sure I came up with an answer, but I was able to successfully walk off a pretty good ankle twist with still about a mile and a half to go.  And woke up today with minimal pain, woo hoo!  We continued our descent (cracks me up when I use terms like this to talk about our hike, makes me think we are trying to summit Everest or something) and Liam finally woke up.  He cried a bit, but as soon as he changed his attention to watch Burton, he was all good.  The weather got warmer and the snow turned to mud.  We made it all the way back down, Burton back on leash at this point and hung out at the car for a while.  It was a great hike and of course we missed daddy, but it always feels so good to accomplish things, no matter how or when.  A new hike, about 4 miles and some sore muscles!  Can't beat that! 
Liam loves to be outside and wanted to explore much more than I was willing to let him, after all, we were in the parking lot.  I think next time, we will stop at some point on the hike and let him play.

No comments:

Post a Comment