Monday, June 23, 2014

The adventures continue

Mondays are always hard.  Not only to have to come back to work, but I have to come back to the "city," and brave traffic and try to be normal again.  I joke about how Sean and I are a little different and there is something about where we moved to that makes me feel like we belong there, we don't need to pretend to be anything other than we are.  But that's not always the case in the "city."  It's strange, how at times, I just feel like the only place for me is with my boys in the mountains.  I'm lucky, I love my job and the people I work with are great, I'm just still not sure I fit it yet, at least not as well as I did in my last job.  But maybe I'll get there, that's the plan at least.

But for now, I don't need to dwell on that, I can spend a few minutes talking about our great weekend.  I got to have an early day on Friday at was back with my parents and Liam a little early.  To be honest, I'm not even sure what we did.  As far as I remember, we took Liam to the park, then went to dinner and did a little grocery shopping.  It was a nice and quiet evening.  And the more I think about it, the adventure for the week started much sooner than that.  I took the day off on Wednesday to be with everyone.  Sean decided we should drive up to Mt. Evans - we were excited to be on a 14er, even if we hadn't climbed it.  We were quite disappointed when we got to the road leading up and and it was closed.  We had to settle for some great views and a tiny hike.  All of it was amazing, just not the top of a 14er, but we'll get there!




We headed back down and decided to let Sean stay home and get some work done and head to IKEA.  I desperately needing things, something, anything in my house to make it feel more like a home.  We got a few things, nothing life changing, but enough to get us going in the right direction, and it feels good.  We unpacked more, put Liam's big boy bed together (which is another blog day in itself), and felt more and more settled.  It has been great having my parents here, they have been a huge help in not only watching Liam, but in giving me the kick in the butt I needed to start unpacking more and more.

That will take us to Saturday.  We went back and forth on what to do since Sean was on call, but not called in yet.  It worked out where we were able to go mountain biking while my parents walked around with Liam at Mt. Falcon.  I love that Mt. Falcon is only 7 minutes or so away from us, the trails are great, the hills are killer and well, let's just say, I thought I was going to die numerous times on my bike.  I feel like I walked my bike more than I rode it.  And I started getting frustrated, but remembered that I hadn't rode in over a year and it was my first day trying to tackle some pretty crazy stuff.  At least we made it to the top, didn't fall over and was able to enjoy the views a bit!  Sean took the picture, so the blog will have to wait until the next ride to get a picture of us - just have to figure out when we can do that again.

We were all pretty beat that night, but decided it would be great to grill some steaks and enjoy a lovely dinner outside.  Sean spent more of the day cutting down trees which brought us 5 deer, a few with horns for our evening entertainment.  The wildlife is amazing!

On Sunday, it was Burton's turn for fun.  My mom, Liam and I took him over to the dog park.  It was a great hike, we got in about 2 miles and saw some amazing views.  I think Burton had a good time as well!

Liam wanted to run around a bit, so we went to other side of the park and let him walk a little.  I caught him in the act of being unbelievably cute and silly at the same time - had to share.

Not sure what was going on here, but too silly.  The day ended with a little party, some US Men's World Cup soccer and plenty of laughs and good times.  No wonder I am so tired on Mondays - and no wonder it is even harder to get back to work and in the swing of things.

So, this weekend we kept the adventures going, we played outside tons, got dirty, didn't nap enough, graduated to a big boy bed, grilled out for the first time and laughed and had so much fun.  One of my new home purchases was a chalk board from IKEA and I did a to - do list for each day over the weekend.  I had to make sure we all had fun each day and it sounds like everyone did.  It's been a great few weeks with family and I'll be very sad to see my parents leave in a couple of days, I want to convince them to stay longer, but at least I'll see them again soon in a few weeks.  It was a great weekend, just as all the days we spend outside are...I can't wait to get home to this group of people and have our evening walk, enjoy the stars and just hang out again.  It seems like each night is the perfect one.

No comments:

Post a Comment