Monday, August 25, 2014

Date day - climbing

Yes, this was yet another odd date for Sean and I.  See, our last date was a few hours of some awesome sailing in 60 degree weather, with a few rain showers.  And yes, I do think that is fun.  I think that defines us and makes us the couple we are, and I love it.  Every now and then I forget that our dates are not like other dates.  We don't go out for dinner or drinks, or a movie - we go out and do stuff.  As we looked at our schedules, we realized we needed a date in Colorado soon - to go do something here, in nature and with some adventure.  So, we took Liam to day care, which I felt a bit bad about, since we were home, but there was no way we could have gone climbing with him.

We prepared out our items the night before, laid everything out we needed and found a spot to go that was about 30 minutes from  our house.  We left nice and early and enjoyed a nice little drive to our destination.  It was a little tricky to find the trail, but once we did, we knew we were headed for some fun.  I was so excited to climb.  We hadn't been in so long, so long that I think Liam was still in a carseat watching the last time we went.  We got to our spot, found where we planned on climbing, laid everything out and got going.  Sean was going to lead climb to set the top rope, so there was some learning to do for me, and remembering for him.  It was fun, to learn something new, to be outside, to see the river, to watch rafts go by, just so much fun.  Sean made it to the top and set his ropes so I can climb top rope, which is what I am used it.  We finished the climb, Sean ran up it again to bring the rope back down and we found a new spot to climb.

The next section over was much easier, so Sean decided that I should take my first attempt at lead climbing, something I have not done before, something that scared me just a little bit, but something that I also didn't think about long enough to be really scared.  It was a great day climbing, we had so much fun, just being out there, doing something we loved again.  We finished up just as it was getting crowded, so we took our PB and J's and drove a bit down the road to a nice pull out on the river.  We found some rocks, sat and just enjoyed our time in the fresh air and sunshine.

It was a great day that reminded me how important it is for Sean and I to get away if we can, just the 2 of us to do whatever it might be.  I was also reminded how much I love climbing, which will get me to join a gym not far from work to climb at.  It was always great for me and will continue to be great for me.  It was a great day, with many great moments, but most of all, was so great because we got to be together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment