Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Christmas break - a quick recap

It has been a good and busy, too busy of a Christmas break for us.  I guess I shouldn't say it has been too busy, it has been good, really great to see friends and family and be back in Illinois.  We left on a Sunday, drove all day and got in pretty late that night.  We stayed with my parents for the trip and from the moment we woke up on Monday, it was go, go go!  Monday morning we took a trip to the dog park with Burton, I got to get my run, in the cold, icy mix of our old stomping grounds with Burton.  We got muddy, wet and I was happy to get a work out in, hoping I would be able to keep up the routine.  But nope, fail on that one - that was my first and last workout of the week.  Monday we headed back to my parents and hung out for a bit before my sister and her family and my brother and her family made it back to the house.  We celebrated Liam's birthday and my birthday, he got to blow out the candles, he likes to blow it out as soon as it is lit.  Some old work friends came by and we hung out, it was great to catch up.

Tuesday was when we celebrated the Foege Christmas.  We went over nice and early to let Liam play with his cousins and we could get started on catching up and holding the newest Foege, Clara.  Liam was amazed my her, he wanted to hold her numerous times, which was very sweet - I hope he wants to be that sweet with his new baby sister.  We had a great time, it was great to see everyone, spend the day there without worrying about anything, just hanging out, it was a nice feeling.  The kids were excited to open presents.  This was the first year Liam was interesting in opening presents, he still is of course, still talks about presents and opening them.  I'm a little bummed for the kid that he has to wait a whole year to do it again.  Anyways, we had a great time with the Foeges.

Wednesday, which was Christmas Eve we went to visit my Grandma.  It was nice to see her, she was happy to see, listen to and hug Liam when he stopped long enough to let her.  We stayed and chatted with her for a while, snapped a few pictures of Liam on the move and said our good-byes.  I hope she will get to meet her newest great-grand daughter in a few months when we get back in the summer.  I honestly barely remember what else we did that day.  We went to church, had some dinner with my parents and that's about all.

Christmas Day was spent at my parents, with the Badon side of the family.  It was nice to be able to stay put for the day, we took our time getting ready and just lazed around.  Until everyone arrived - then things got a little crazy, in a good way.  Liam's older cousins were so happy to see him, they played with him all day long, there was no stopping for him or them.  My little guy kept going and going, like the Energizer Bunny.  He perhaps picked up a few habits from them, or taught them a few things, or who knows how it all happened, but I know he had a blast and so did they.  There were some really sweet moments, were he sat on my nephew's lap and watched about 5 minutes of Elf, asking his usual "What happened?" and hearing Lucas explain what was going on.  The day went on, we played some games and chatted, ate plenty, laughed and enjoyed company, it was a nice day.

Friday was another running around day, we spent some time with the Foege cousins again, and then started to get things ready to go.  We went back on forth about when to leave, I wanted another day, in the hopes it would be relaxing.  We did end up staying Saturday, but we also made a few more trips to visit people.  It was a great time back in Illinois, but it was also nice to be home.

We came home to some snow and our temporary garage collapsed.  Thankfully Sean was smart enough to move the truck out of the garage so we at least avoided damage to that.  We got home and Liam was excited that Santa brought him a few presents, a shovel that he wanted to use right away.  We didn't try to make it up the driveway, since there was no where to park.  We also didn't unpack, didn't need anything and all just went to bed, Liam got to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed, mostly because I didn't feel like laying in his bed, but there we all were, all of us, Burton included, and home.  It was a nice place to be.  It's hard to leave the people we love, that's for sure, but for me, I feel like living our dreams are the place we belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment