Sunday, July 26, 2015

No words

So, I sit here in a few minutes of peace for the weekend, after a long week, after a super busy time for Sean - not sure how long it will last and there are a million other things that I should be doing, but I can't seem to tear myself away from watching the Special Olympics Opening Ceremonies coverage.  I didn't see it all last night, we went to an outside movie showing of Star Wars (which was quite fun).  So, anyways, I am catching up.  I saw some of the ceremonies, on TV in the restaurant we had dinner at - how cool is that?  At some point, Liam was watching and waving as the athletes walked in, it was so sweet.  Anyways, I start to talk about how cool it is, I start to think about how amazing it all is, it makes my eyes well up with joy.  I can't seem to find words to express how it makes me feel to see this amazing coverage.  It has happened, the world has embraced Special Olympics and the athletes are given their chance to shine.  I watch the parade in, I see the athletes and hear the stories and I'm amazed.  The coverage is unreal - they are really taking the time to highlight the athletes and somehow get everyone to feel the things I feel everyday with my job.

I am still struggling to find words to put in this blog - to express how great this is.  I hope that this will be the start of always covering the games, no matter where it is.  I want this to be on TV all the time, so Liam and Cora can watch and now that it should just be a part of life.  I mean, let's be honest, they don't have much of a choice, they were both at State Games when they were 6 weeks old...but for them to see it on the bigger stage, the biggest stage possible.  I sit here and wonder when will be my time to be a part of world games.  I was lucky enough to be a part of USA Games and I'm sure I'll get to do that again, but the World - that's a dream of mine for sure.  So, I watch, with wide eyes as we wait for Team USA to come in, to watch, to see if I can find people I know, people who will tell me how awesome it was and people who inspire me.  And I figure out how to get there.  And I figure out how else to leave my stamp on this amazing organization.

It's hard for me to find words because Special Olympics to should always be on this stage.  Let's be honest, professional sports are full of crap, just pure crap.  While there are the good people, there are also so many people in professional sports that are so full of themselves, so caught up in money and greed that they have no clue what the meaning of Sports even is.  These athletes, the ones marching in right now, these are the athletes that can teach those jerks about sports - about competing, about the love of the game.  And I am so happy to hear the stories about the athletes that are there, that are helping out teams to get to the games, walking with the athletes and realizing how important Special Olympics is.  Sorry, didn't mean to turn negative, like I said, it's been a tough weekend and week.  Watching this has reminded me why I do what I do, why Special Olympics has been such a part of my life for 15 years and will always remain a part of my life.

I'm not sure how many more times I will cry while watching it, but this morning, when Liam asked, I totally got choked up - because I realized what I got to tell him.  I'm not sitting in front of my computer streaming the ceremonies, I'm watching it broad casted on ESPN.

See, I still can't find words, this blog is all over the place.  But at the end of the day, the stories I hear are amazing.  The athletes are stars and finally the rest of the world can see what I have known for about 15 years.  A baby is crying so I best go for now...but I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say about all of this.  Go USA, but more importantly, go Special Olympics athletes, you all are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment