Monday, January 20, 2014

I love long weekends

Especially when they are extra long.  And that is what this weekend has been.  The weekend starting hoping that Sean wouldn't get a call to make him work Thursday night.  And he didn't.  So, that meant, the family was going to load up and head to Copper Mountain.  I had some work meetings going on, but we were going to be lucky enough to squeeze in some riding while Liam was at day care.  And yes, I felt bad about putting him in day care on a day when I could have spent time with him, but he seemed to have fun.  He got to play with some new friends and didn't even cry when we left.  I also got to sneak in, steal him and feed him...so yeah, felt pretty awesome to spend the morning riding (perhaps just as good as I was a couple of years ago, if not better) and then sneak in to feed my baby, have some lunch, do some work, more riding, more work, then feeding Liam and having dinner.  It was a full day of on the go moving, but all of it was great.  It was the how I imagined I would be a mom and well, it hasn't always gone the way I wanted it to go.  But Friday, Friday was a glimpse into what I can do with my little guy, having great adventures, perhaps without him, but still finding time to be a mom to him like I want to be.  I am hoping next year he will be on skis himself, but we will see how that goes.

But back to me for a few minutes....it had been just about 2 years since I rode at all, I think the last trip was Breckenridge and while I was impressed with my skills at that time, I was hoping to build on them last year.  That didn't quite happen and I was all right with that.  Liam came late so by the time I felt strong enough to get out there and ride, the snow was most likely gone.  So Friday was it, it was the first day back on the slopes, back in my snow gear and back to believing I can do it.  And back to making sure I pushed myself, but gave myself some freedom to feel comfortable again.  And all on a new board I got for Christmas.  So, we rode up the lift and I started to mentally prepare myself.  I was hoping to start on greens, but we ended up on blues and just went for it.  Sean gave me a few bits of advice, but I knew I just wanted to see what I could do.  So, I strapped in and went for it!  And it felt great.  Sure, I didn't swish and swoosh like I wanted to, but for the most part, I was just as good as I was last time I was out...and that was such a great feeling.  And it only got better.  Until after lunch, when I want on something that was way too hard in my head, but that's another story.  Anyways, all in all, it felt great to ride and I can't wait to go again - and share it with Liam in the future.

Saturday was another work day for me, so the family took a ride down to Colorado Springs with me, we took the long way, a beautiful scenic way that showed us some amazing views of mountains, took up through some fire areas and even had us on a few dirt roads.  We then walked around the Garden of the Gods and I found a little area off the path to rest and feed Liam.  It's so funny how proud I am of the little things, of finding a few places to feed my little guy after all the struggles we went through.  But I'll take it.  I'll take all of it.  Sunday was a lazier day, just a walk around the neighborhood (which isn't all that lazy if you see where we live!) and today, today we are waiting for Liam to wake up and then see where the day will take us.  And then back to the work, and dropping Liam off and missing him while I am away from him.  But it's only 4 more days until a whole weekend with my little guy again, even if Daddy is working, we will find a way to have fun.  Our life is Colorado is feeling pretty normal these days, doesn't feel like we did some crazy, out of this world thing...and that makes me think we did the right thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment