Monday, November 10, 2014

Mountain Day!

Yes, we finally had a day off, both of us, with no plans, nothing going on.  That meant I needed some mountain time, and not some typical mountain time...something new, something different, something bigger than just our hike to the dog park (not that I don't love those hikes!).  Liam woke up nice and early, which I was not thrilled about, since I was up early the day before working.

Which is another topic - finished my last state games with Colorado - finally.  Been through all of them once and looking forward to next year.  Just a few complaints, nothing too big.  It mostly went well and I'm happy to have each event under my belt and I look forward to next year and doing more, making events better and better!

So, we got up nice and early, lazed around in bed a bit.  Liam likes to read books in the morning and I like to watch the sunrise.  So, we finally made our way out of bed, still on track for an early departure from the house.  We got dressed (once we figured out what we should wear due to the weather), Sean showered, Liam made some messes and we decided to grab breakfast on the way.  I thought it'd be great if we just supported small businesses all day long...that started in Evergreen that morning.  But first, the process of getting out of the house.  It works pretty well, we each have tasks we are in charge of.  I got all the winter/hiking gear ready.  Sean took care of getting the food and kitchen items ready to go.  We filled our camel backs with water, loaded up on snacks, had to run back inside about 5 times to get this or that, but finally, well before 9:00 AM, we hit the road!
Liam was ready to go, Burton was so excited to get to come with and daddy was happy he got to wear his new hoodie.  Liam looked a little silly with his long underwear, boots and vest, but I couldn't pass up how cute he was being, running around in this little outfit.  

We got in the car and headed to downtown Evergreen.  There is a place that does BBQ and donuts, heard really good thing about the donuts so I had to take Sean there - and of course, I knew Liam would be thrilled.  We got our donuts and went down the street to a coffee shop to get a couple of bagels to fill my void of cream cheese of the morning.  We had a donut break while waiting for the bagels and boy - those donuts were great!

Liam has gotten very good and just eating off the frosting part and then asking for me - in a very polite and cute way.  We got our bagels and headed off on our way.  I guess the donut wasn't enough, Liam thought he needed more snacks so he found some in the car and happily enjoyed those as we head out - about 30 minutes away from home, but on our way!

So, we headed on our way, out to 70, then to Georgetown, then up Guanella Pass.   As we drove, Liam had fun yelling Hang On - or Wheee!!  And soon, his yelling stopped.  I could tell he was getting sleepy, but I also knew we were getting close to the top.  I stopped bugging him for about 2 minutes and he was fast asleep.  We made to the trailhead at Mt. Bierstadt and were excited to take a little hike around, knowing we wouldn't make it up the 14er.  Sean had to take a rest stop, so he got out while I sat in the car with the sleeping boy and the dog.  Liam was passed out.  There was not much getting him up, Burton was whining, winds were shaking the car and this kid was out.
So, Sean and I snuck out, let Burton run around a bit and we walked - not far at all from the car, but a little bit.  We were in the same spot about 4 years ago - when we first came out for a job interview for Sean and there was MUCH more snow.  That was the day we were attempting to reach our first 14er.  There was no way, without snowshoes and with all our gear, and no acclimation to the altitude that we were going to make it.  I vowed to be back to summit at some point and I will - just not yet.  So, we grabbed a quick picture and ran back to the car as fast as possible.  
Brr...it was cold, but I was pretty happy with my new hat and new coat.  While my new hat will not replace my Whistler hat, it's toasty warm, so I'll take it as a replacement for now.  We got back in the car, after Burton finally caused a few problems and woke Liam up, we headed back down the other side.  I was set on Coney Island hot dogs for lunch.  On the way, we stopped at a camp ground, no one was there, so we got to get out and play and explore.  We found a great little stream, with some ice on it, that Burton fell through.  I log to cross the stream, a huge patch of ice to play on and plenty of space for Burton to run through.  Here are a few pictures from our stop - not the hike we had planned, but so much fun nonetheless!






Yes, the one above is Sean and Liam digging through poop - I mean, they are learning.  Sean decided that Bear Grizzles would check to see what the animal had eaten - or to find out what animal it was - neither of which we discovered, but if I want a boy that likes the outside, he is bound to get dirty and explore animal poop, right?  And this picture is when he sat down and decided to just plan in the dirt.  Ah, nature - I can't wait until he picks up bugs and snakes and gives them to me!  
So, that was our day, we drove and saw some great mountain views, we remembered our last trip out when our life was SO different.  We got to get out in the sunshine and play.  We got to enjoy a trip together with no agenda, no set plans, just going out and exploring.  And yes, we did get our hot dogs on the way home and some ice cream.  We came home to clean and get the house in some order, which was much needed.  And how can a house get so messy when I feel like we are barely home - oh yeah, I have an almost 2 year old...that's how it happens.  Ahh, with another one on the way...I shouldn't spend too much time thinking about that....right?  It'll all work out, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment