Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baby steps

...back into running.  Yeah, that is my plan.  I'm not going to go out tomorrow and knock out 5 miles or run for an hour or anything like that, I'm going to take baby steps to get to my running.  We were out on our hike yesterday and I saw a woman running, trial running and I asked Sean when I get to be that awesome.  I decided I didn't need to wait for an answer, I decided I get to be as awesome as I wnat to be as soon as I want to be.  So, I started today.  I started a couch to 5K program.  It seemed so funny for me to run 60 seconds, then walk 90 seconds.  I mean, I watched the marathon yesterday morning, that was me a few years ago, I was that person out there running, kicking butt and taking names.  I remember marathons where before I knew it, I was at mile 15.  I also remember marathons where each mile, including number 1 dragged on.  And I thought about how much I used to love running.  I would torture myself for miles and hours and hours and miles.  I'd wake up so early to get my 20 miles in before it got hot.  And for the majority of the time, I did it alone.  I think I did one 20 mile run with someone - didn't really like it as much as my alone time.

So, that's what I'm looking to get back.  Do I want to run 8 minute miles again, of course!  Would I want to run another marathon and finally break 4 hours, yes!  But will I do either of those tomorrow.  No way.  Because tomorrow I am going to work on some leg strength and then on Thursday, I'll be back at it, running and walking for my 20 minutes to complete another workout.

See, my breathing set me back a bit, I think.  I have been held back by it for far too long.  I am hoping it is a bit under control and I can use this run/walk to work on catching my breath.  And breathing through my nose and getting my thoughts under control and getting me back to where I want to be mentally as a runner, or rather as an athlete.  So, I will take it slow, I will work on my breathing and my form.  I will focus on relaxing while I run and remembering why I loved it so much at some point.

But for today, I will feel great, because I did it.  I got out there and I worked out.  I started a program that I will finish and one that will make me feel better about all the things I will be doing.  And I plan on continuing with my running through the winter, into the Spring and next Summer as well.  Maybe even get into some races, some longer races, who knows.  But again, for today, I'll be happy I went out and did my workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment