Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Weekend, Part 2

Sunday was a pretty dreary day, well, it didn't start that way, but by the time we decided to get out of bed, the sunshine was gone and the clouds have moved in.  But I will take that trade off.  Liam slept a bit later then decided he just wanted to read books and cuddle for a while.  I was not complaining - not at all.  I love the cuddles with that little guy, I really do treasure them.  Now, the kicking at night, I treasure a little bit less, but for now, until I'm ready to kick that little guy out of bed, I shouldn't complain about them.

So, Sunday, it was a little bit of a blah day, we just did some basic things, grocery shopping, which was far too exciting for me to get food we can cook again.  We cleaned a bit, cooked a nice dinner, I tried making cookies with no success - have to brush up on my high altitude baking before the holidays and just hung out.  I swear we did something else, but am struggling to remember.  We mostly just enjoyed being together with nothing to do.  We watched a wintry mix move, sadly with no lasting snow for us.  We decided to explore the local pool with Liam.  He had a blast on the kiddy slide and I'll be honest, the adult 2-story slide was NOT messing around.

Now it was time for Monday, our free day, a day where we can do anything we want - what would it be.  It was time for me to get some more mountain time.  I wanted to do something big, maybe Kenosha Pass, but we decided it'd be best to stay close so we can finish up our shopping at Costco (more things for me to cook!).  We ended up going to O'Fallon Park (http://www.dayhikesneardenver.com/ofallon-park-trails/) - this one even closer than the other.  Again, I was thinking it would be not as exciting as I wanted it to be and maybe too easy.  Boy, was I wrong, we started with a steep incline that turned into a gradual incline.  We ended up climbing around 550 feet, which is pretty good for a close park.  It was a chilly morning so we were bundled up.
Note to mom:  Liam needs a new hat that fits him, while he looks fine in my hat, I think he should have his own.  We walked and walked and found some great views.  Since we were mostly the only people there, we let Burton run around.  It was a little alarming to find 2 deer legs throughout the walk, not sure who took care of the rest of the deer, but best not to find out.  There were some great views along the way, as usual.



We walked for about a mile and half and since I didn't go a very good job of reading the map, we decided to turn around to get back to the car and have time to do a few more things.  Liam feel asleep at some point, which is rare for him on these hikes as of late, or maybe it wasn't him and we picked up a bear cub, as Sean had picked up a baby deer the day before.  

Oh, the deer story, how could I have forgotten about that the other day.  We were headed to our hike with Summer and I slowed down due to about 5 deer being on the road.  As we slowed, we looked closer to see that there was a deer in the ditch on the side of the road.  It was clearly a baby deer and we had to do something.  Sean got out and went to pick him up.  As he put the deer the down, something was wrong and the deer collapsed to the ground, back in the ditch.  What should we do at this point?  All I knew was that I was not taking this deer home, after all, Tommy Boy was flashing through my head.  Sean picked up the deer and moved it across the street.  This way, we figured the other deer could be with it, or at least say good-bye.  We watched it try and move and heard it cry.  It was heart breaking.  We are pretty positive the deer didn't make it, but we did feel good about letting it's family say good-bye to it.  Perhaps we are just huge saps with a kid, but I hope they appreciated that time.  And no, I didn't take any pictures due to just being in shock of the whole thing.  Burton was in the car barking and Liam kept saying how heavy the deer was.

So, that was our weekend, the first one we had nothing to do in a long time.  One where we found plenty do to, and all that was nice and close to us again.  It's nice to remember why we moved it, that's why, to do hikes like this on a day when we just have a little bit of time, to see the mountains and feel the sunshine.  It fills my soul and refreshes me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment