Monday, September 23, 2013

Mixed signs

I spent my morning at a funeral - a very sad funeral.  I get it, most funerals are sad, no one ever enjoys them and well, at the end of the day, there is most likely lots and lots of crying.  Today was no exception.  I was reminded of quite a few things today and then presented with an interesting decision.  A Special Olympics athlete passed away very unexpectedly.  I knew him, but worked closer with him mom.  It was so hard to go and hug her and tell her anything that would comfort her.  It was a reminder to go home and appreciate each minute I have with my family.  What else did I get out of the service?  Friends and family are so important to life, so keep them close to you.  I also was realizing how short life can be and how you just have to go for what you want.

So, where does that leave me?  Does that leave us selling our house and packing up to move to Colorado - going for what we want?  Or does that leave us staying here, comfortable in our lives and close to our family?  If I listen the message I received today, I am then still torn.  Do we take a chance and go for it?  Do we jump into the unknown, feel scared about our decision and make it happen?  Or do we know where we will end up in 10 years?  I mean, let's be honest, if we stay here, we know what will happen to us.  We know what our future holds.  And it isn't bad, the life we have isn't bad, the 10 years down the road won't be bad.
But maybe it's time to change our course.  Maybe it's time to not be sure where we will be in 10 years, except for together.  I heard that song today - home is wherever I'm with you...so, in the end, it doesn't matter where Sean and I end up, as long as we are together, with Liam, of course.

And now for details as to where we are.  Yesterday we had someone come and look at our house.  She seemed to like it, needed to chat with her roommate and hope we will hear back from them.  We also met with a realtor who gave us some suggestions and ideas - and gave us more of an idea of what we are thinking we can sell the house for.  It was a bit depressing as we hoped we could make a wee bit of money on the house, but at this point, we are hoping to just break even.  Another reason I am hoping these first people buy the house, we might make a little bit of money on it.  We like to think it is the perfect house for the perfect person, just like it was for us.  I mean, we bought it after it was on the market for a week.  So, we will see - fingers crossed, but I also know the likelihood of the first people seeing our house will take it.  But I can send good thoughts into the universe, right?

So, for now, we are downsizing, selling things, getting rid of things and moving lots of things out of the house to make it look more appealing to buyers. Wow, someone is going to buy our house.  Maybe - or at least hopefully.  And we are going to move.  And far.  I feel like I want to get passed all the logical thinking we are doing and be excited about this all.  But a part of me keeps thinking and wondering if we are making the right step for us.  I certainly don't feel like it's the wrong thing to do, but how come I have so many questions.  I like to think it is because we are being smart, we are covering all of our basis.  But in some ways it just doesn't feel real to me.  It still feels like we are deciding and yes, we can change our minds at any time, but I don't really think that is the case.  I think we are doing it, I think we are going to move.  Which means I should get up and start doing something, but it was an exhausting day, it's time for me to finish up here and go cuddle my little guy and remember how lucky I am to have the amazing family I have, no matter where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment